Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jennifer Cook O'Toole Book: Brief Review

I am reviewing the following book.  The Asperkid's (Secret) Book of Social Rules: The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Aspergers Syndrome by Jennifer Cook O'Toole with Illustrations by Brian Bojanowski:
I am an autistic adult woman in my mid-30’s.  I am an Ivy League graduate who missed the opportunity for social skills training. I bought this book in hopes of improving my social skills and found it to be very helpful, humorous, well-written, and insightful.  I greatly recommend it for Aspies of all ages.  Ms. O’Toole’s book is highly effective because she understands the mind-sets of both the mainstream NT (neurotypical) social world and the Asperger’s population.  As an Aspie herself, she knows precisely which social rules are most likely to confuse teen Aspies.  She is an excellent translator and interpreter between two very different cultures who gave me insight into the NT world-view.  
 I only wish that this book had existed when I was a teenager because knowing these rules might have helped me avoid many costly social mistakes.  I figured out the principles discussed in this book through a painful process of trial and error, but her work was a helpful reminder of social rules that sometimes continue to stump me.  I also learned a few new ideas from her book. Ms. O’Toole proves that it is never too late for an autistic person to improve their social skills.    

No comments:

Post a Comment